Real Mom Kitchen
1 box lemon cake mix
1 box (4-serving size) lime-flavored gelatin
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup Key lime juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 or 3 drops green food coloring
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons Key lime juice
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 fresh limes, each cut into 6 slice and cut slice in half
- Heat oven to 350 and line 24 regular-size muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, beat the cake mix, gelatin, water, juice, vegetable oil, eggs and food coloring with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 for 19 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Using a toothpick, pierce tops of cupcakes in several places (about 7 to 8 times per cupcake)
- In small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice until glaze is smooth. Brush or spread glaze over cupcakes. Cool for 30 more minutes.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar to beat until frosting is fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes. Store covered in refrigerator. Garnish with lime halves just before serving. We put rainbow candy on top instead like picture below for St. Patty's Day.