Sunday, September 16, 2012

Marinara Sauce


I can't believe it has taken me this long to make my own marinara sauce.  I will never buy store bought again if I can help it!

3-4 cloves garlic
1/2-1 onion
olive oil
28 oz. can tomato sauce
28 oz. can tomato's ( I just used a quart size of home canned tomatoes, juice and all)
2 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. salt
2 TBL. sugar
1-2 TBL. balsamic vinegar (optional, but gives another depth of flavor that is sooo delicious!)
water optional

Finely dice garlic and onion and sautee in oil.  Once translucent add remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then simmer for 2 hours.  You don't have to simmer but the flavors meld together so much better and become so full of flavor if you do.  Add more water if you want it more runny but I thought it was perfect like it was.  I also used half for our meal and froze the other half.  Sometimes I make a double batch so we can freeze 2 more portions.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails